Glow in the Dark Kodama Pattern

One day I discovered something special and unexpected. I found out that Glow-in-the-dark yarn existed! I thought it would be really fun to experiment with the yarn, and so I really racked my head to find something special to make from it. I am a huge fan of Hayao Miyazaki. In Princess Mononoke, the Kodamas (tree spirits) appear looking ghostly yet cute at the same time. They tilt their heads around and pop it back into place making these rattling noises. The more I thought about it, the more excited I became about what I thought would be the perfect combo of the ami and the yarn.

I went into my studio and I began making 2 different versions of the Kodamas: a sitting one, and a standing one. The sitting one has a more round face and looks like its sitting with its knees up. The standing Kodama has a head more like an alien. The great thing about these Kodomas is that if you make the faces different, they look like different versions, so feel free to experiment with the faces!

If you don’t have Glow-in-the-dark yarn, you can still make them using any sort of yarn and it will still turn out quite spooky cute! With the Nighlights yarn (2 oz), I was able to make 3 different Kodamas, plus have a little bit of yarn leftover.

Check out the video here to see the Glow in the Dark Kodama in action:

Glow in the Dark Kodama

Glow in the Dark Kodama Pattern is copyrighted under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License. This pattern is for personal use only. Feel free to make this for yourself or to give as gifts to people. However any sale, reproduction, or distribution of the pattern and or dolls created from the pattern without permission is strictly prohibited.

Kodama #1 – Sitting Kodama

SKILL LEVEL: Easy

Make sure you double strand the Glow-in-the-dark Yarn!

CROCHET HOOK:
Size H (5 mm)
Size G (4 mm)

YARN:
Nightlights Glow in the Dark Yarn

NOTIONS:
Black and White Felt
Yarn Needle
Felt Glue
Polyester Fiberfill

NOTE:
If using the Nighlights Glow in the Dark Yarn, don’t forget to double strand the yarn!

HEAD
Round 1: 6 sc into adjustable ring.
Round 2: 2 sc in each st around – 12 sc.
Round 3: [2 sc in next st, sc in next st] around – 18 sc.
Round 4: [2 sc in next st, sc in next 2 sts] around – 24 sc.
Round 5-8: Sc in each st around.
Round 9: [Sc dec, sc in next 2 sts] around – 18 sc.
Round 10: [Sc dec, sc in next st] around – 12 sc.
Round 11: [Sc dec, sc in next st] around – 8 sc.
Fasten off, leaving a long tail.

BODY
Round 1: 6 sc into adjustable ring.
Round 2: 2 sc in each st around – 12 sc.
Round 3: [2 sc in next st, sc in next st] around – 18 sc.
Round 4-5: Sc in each st around.
Round 6: [Sc dec, sc in next 4 sts] around – 15 sc.
Round 7: Sc in each st around.
Round 8: [Sc dec, sc in next 3 sts] around – 12 sc.
Round 9: [Sc dec, sc in next st] around – 8 sc.
Fasten off.

LEG (make 2)
Round 1: 6 sc into adjustable ring.
Round 2-4: Sc in each st around.
Round 5: hdc in next 4 sts, sc in next 2 sts – 6 sts.
Round 6: Sc in each st around.
Fasten off, leaving a tail.

ARM (make 2)
Note: Switch to smaller size hook – Size G (4 mm)
Round 1: 5 sc into adjustable ring.
Round 2-6: Sc in each st around.
Round 7: Sc dec in next st, sl st to fasten off – 4 sts.
Do not stuff.

ASSEMBLY
Stuff the HEAD and BODY. Stuff the LEGS loosely. Do not stuff the ARMS.
Sew HEAD onto BODY. Sew LEGS into the Body 3 rows down from the top of the body. It should look as if its knees are bent and it is sitting down. Sew arms onto the side by lining it up to look like a vertical line at the side. You can sew the both hands together so they look like they’re touching or the arms can be free. See photos below. Cut 3 circles of various size from black felt for the eyes and mouth. You can also embroider French knots instead.

Hands Free
Hands Together

Kodama #2 – Standing Kodama

The standing Kodma might be a little more trickier to make because you need to join 2 different body parts by using sc. I will try and get a tutorial up on it soon.

HEAD
Round 1: 6 sc into adjustable ring.
Round 2: 2 sc in each st around – 12 sc.
Round 3: [2 sc in next st, sc in next st] around – 18 sc.
Round 4: [2 sc in next st, sc in next 2 sts] around – 24 sc
Round 5: Sc in each st around.
Round 6: [Sc dec, sc in next 2 sts] around – 18 sc.
Round 7: Sc in each st around.
Round 8: [Sc dec, sc in next 4 sts] around – 15 sc.
Round 9-10: Sc in each st around.
Round 11: [Sc dec, sc in next 3 sts] around – 12 sc.
Round 12: [Sc dec, sc in next st] around – 8 sc.
Fasten off, leaving a long tail.

LEGS and BODY
Round 1: 4 sc into adjustable ring.
Round 2: 2 sc in each st around – 8 sc.
Round 3-7: Sc in each st around.
Fasten off.

You have created LEG A. Repeat Rounds 1-7 to create LEG B, but do not fasten off. Join LEGS A and B by joining across 2 sts of both LEG A and LEG B with sc. (Another option: You may create the 2 legs first and then sew them together across 2 sts) You should now have 12 sts around when the legs are combined. We will now work on the body.

Round 8: [2 sc in the next st, sc in next 3 sts] around – 15 sc.
Round 9-14: Sc in each st around.
Round 15: [Sc dec, sc in next 3 sts] around – 12 sc.
Round 16: [Sc dec, sc in next st] around – 8 sc.
Fasten off.

ARMS (make 2
Note: Switch to smaller size hook – Size G (4 mm)
Round 1: 6 sc into adjustable ring.
Round 2-6: Sc in each st around.
Round 7: [Sc dec, sc in next st] around – 4 sc.
Fasten off, leaving a tail. Do not stuff.

ASSEMBLY
Stuff everything except for the ARMS. Sew HEAD onto BODY. Sew ARMS onto Body near neck. Cut 3 circles of various size from black felt for the eyes and mouth. You can also embroider French knots instead.

Kodama - Tree Spirits

Join our Mailing List!

Connect With Me
This entry was posted in Free Patterns and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to Glow in the Dark Kodama Pattern

1. Pingback: Glow in the dark yarn! « Hazelbot Crochet

2. chassy says:

so for the kodama’s body and head, we use the H hook??

• Ami Amour says:

Yes, that is correct.

• chassy says:

thanks!:) i wasnt sure at first but now thanks a bunch!!:) i looove ur other amigurumis too! *squeals* maybe you should sell them at another animecon youre going to:D

• Ami Amour says:

Thanks! I will be at Anime LA this year with my amigurumis ^^ It’ll be my fourth year!

• chassy says:

wow 🙂 you know im asian too:) well, vietnamese but i wanted to go to another animecon to sell my amis but they wouldnt tell me how to register for me to get my own panel at one. sooo i gave up. but i do hope to see more of ur creations:) i wanted to buy a pattern for one of your amis but im not allowed to use my parents credit card on here:/

3. Very nice! 🙂 I love Princess mononoke, and amigurumi’s, therefore why not put them together! 🙂 I have one question though, do you make the head with the H hook, and the rest of the body with the G hook?

• Ami Amour says:

I make everything with the H hook and the legs and arms are made with the G hook. I do this because when the rounds have small amount of stitches, I find it easier to use a smaller hook.

4. Leah says:

Could you knit this also?

• Ami Amour says:

Unfortunately I’m not a very good knitter and have no idea how to create knit patterns, so I can’t help you there. I’d just look up chick knitting patterns online or you should learn to crochet, it’s fun! And Eggy is a perfect basic crochet pattern to start off with =D

5. wynibear says:

Hi Sharon!

So I did what you said and picked up the needle again… The sitting kodama was my first project back into crochet and it came out surprisingly well! :o) I’ll send you a picture through e-mail when I get a chance. Thanks for the inspiration and once again, it was a pleasure meeting you at PMX 2010!

Blessings,
    Winnie – the staffer whose brother bought her the gray Totoro hat 😉

• Ami Amour says:

Wyni, it’s so good to hear from you! Yes, do send me the photo. I’d love to see it. I was thinking of starting a fan gallery for projects made from my patterns too. Glad you picked the needlearts back up again. Amigurumis are especially addicting because they’re fast and fun.

6. Molly Kiely says:

Adorable — thank you for posting. I think I might skip the glow-in-dark yarn though and put rattles inside… ; )

7. Hollie says:

Hi! I saw your video and loved your creations. I’m much of a knitter and know some crochet, but its so cut that I’m working on knitting it. I see the glow-in-the-dark one in your video. I like when there hands are together. thank u for showing these on youtube! they’re cute and creative. I also like when there eyes are closed, too. How do u make the eyes and mouth? Thanks! 😀

8. Hollie says:

nevermind… i see how to do the eyes and mouth. How do u french knot?

9. Mary Rose says:

hi, thanks so much for sharing the pattern. can you also share the pattern for no face? heheh… i’m a big fan of miyazaki too..especially his film My Neighbor Totoro.. i love your pictures

10. Yyesha says:

Hi,

I just started crocheting and was wondering about the abbreviations. I know what sc is but wat is dec? Please let me know so ’cause I really want to try crocheting a kodama as my first project.

Thanks,
    Yyesha
    (^_^)v

• Ami Amour says:

Hi Yyesha, dec means decrease. Another way that people say it is sc2tog (single crochet 2 together). I think there’s lots of tutorials online for a sc dec (single crochet decrease) so I hope that helps out! Best of luck to you!

11. Yyesha says:

Yeah!! I did it! Sharon, I added a mow-hawk on my kodama, I want to send you a picture of my in progress mow-hawk kodama. Where should I send it? Email me if you can. (^_^)v

12. Valia says:

I can’t even begin to explain to you how excited i was when i found out your videos on YouTube!
    A lovely good-looking amigurumi, and it’s a Kodama, and it’s glowing in the dark!
    Seriously, when i find the right yarn, i’m gonna knit all day long until i get a whole forest of Kodama….
    Thanks again for sharing,
    a dream comes true thanks to you!

13. Michal says:

Hi,
    thanks for your nice explanation on how to make crochet kodamas –> you saved my life as my 4 year old daughter wanted to have some and I learned here how to make them 🙂 now I’m my daughter’s hero hehe
    Thanks a lot again
    Michal

14. Byakko says:

Thank you very much, I love Miyazaki’s amigurumi *-*

15. Lynn says:

I just finished my first amigurumi ever (the mushroom) and wanted to try to make the kodama too. But I don’t know what hdc means.

• Ami Amour says:

Hi Lynn, congrats on your first amigurumi! I’d love to see how it came out. Hdc means half double crochet. What you do is yarn over, go into the stitch, pull out, you should have 3 loops on your hook, yarn over, and pull through all 3 stitches. Look up half double crochet tutorial on youtube and you’ll be able to see it better. Hope that helps!

16. Princess-Rufflebutt says:

Is it okay if I make a few of these to sell among my own patterns at an anime convention? I know a lot of people would just go ahead and do it, but I wanted to get your permission if possible because I have a really bad, nagging, conscience. XD If it’s not okay, there’s no hard feelings. I have plenty of other things that are my own creations to sell.

17. Princess-Rufflebutt says:

18. Pingback: The Vault: Part 2 | ReveDreams.com

19. Lily says:

Hello !
    I really like your little Kodama !
    Could you tell me the size of the yarn ? (

20. kalima40 says:

Me encantan los kodamas!!! Son geniales!!! Gracias por el patrón para hacerlos!! ^_^ Aunque soy algo torpe… podrías hacer un video tutorial para confeccionarlos?

21. Pingback: Glow in the dark yarn, Kodama, and WIP. | The Dragon's Cave

22. JOAN BRACKEN says:

So cute. My daughter in law wants me to make her these. Thank you for the pattern, but where do I get the glow in dark yarn. None of my hobby or yarn stores carry it. Thanks again……….

23. Ami Amour says:

Hi Joan, unfortunately I think most places are out of stock on this glow in the dark yarn, but you might find an occasional skein for sale on ebay. You can try using these vinyl glow in the dark yarn from JellyYarns.com: http://www.jellyyarns.com/yarns.shtml#glow instead, but the yarn is stiff so it’s pretty brutal on the hands. I’ve made one from it and quite liked how it came out though. It’s a lot more stiffer and harder than yarn, so the completed object feels a bit more like a sculpture or vinyl toy rather than a plush. If you get a chance to finish the amigurumi though, I’d love to see it!

24. ShaneBlaby says:

Большинство проблем на сайтах с относительно низкой посещаемостью можно вскрыть за час-два и поправить за неделю.

Проблемы которые я предлагаю решить:

-Проконтролировать как работает с сайтом ваш сегодняшнийSEO специалист и проверить его компетентность?
    -Найду недоработки сделанные раньше и построю тактику по внесению правок.
    -Расскажу как осуществлять контроль работу SEO специалиста.

Планируете пригласить SEO специалиста?

-Помогу провести собеседование потенциальногоSEO специалиста. Разберу по каким аспектам оценивать его уровень.
    – Обсудим отличия между наемным в штат SEO, делегированном SEO и раскрутке сайтов собственными силами.

Планируете своими силами раскрутить существующий сайт. Расскажу все относительно продвижения, после консультирования вам будет понятно:

-Сколько будет стоить ваш сайт
    -Сколько по времени необходимо будет его продвигать для того чтобы достигнуть топов
    -Из каких этапов складывается само по себе продвижение, в общих чертах проанализируем каждый из них.
    -Проанализируем в связи с чем не стоит пользоваться услугами компаний, оказывающих сервис по SEO

Собираетесь создать веб-сайт и организовать его продвижение?

-Расскажу а также продемонстрирую как сделать весьма бюджетный и качественный вариант сайта.
    -В какой мере объемным или сложным может быть ваш собственный web-сайт чтобы конкурировать в топе.
    -Как много вкладывают все ваши конкуренты в продвижение.
    -До какой степени реально войти в топы с вашим сайтом и с вашим бюджетом.

Задумали узнать окупится ли консультирование?

Позвоните по телефону либо в skype – я дам ответ на все вопросы касающиеся SEO и вашего web-ресурса.

Любые вопросы – позвоните +7(812)9114848 или по скайпу admin1.ru
    Часовая беседа стоит 3тыс руб, имеется возможность подписание соглашения и проплата на расчетный счет.
    Оказываю бесплатные консультации за рекомендации (так например у основной массы веб-сайтов проблему видно практически сразу)

acol7wns24