33 In Free Patterns

Yarn Yoshi Amigurumi Pattern

YarnYoshiAmigurumiPattern

Yoshi has always been cute, but he’s super-duper cute in his yarn yoshi form!  Here’s a chibi yoshi amigurumi that I designed using Yoshi’s Wooly World as my inspiration.  I hope you enjoy making him!

Yarn Yoshi Amigurumi Pattern

SKILL LEVEL: Easy
CROCHET HOOK: Size H-8 (5 mm)
YARN:

ABBREVIATIONS:
ch – chain
dc – double crochet
hdc – half double crochet
sc – single crochet
sl st – slip stitch
sc2tog – single crochet 2 together (sc dec)
st – stitch
APPROXIMATE SIZE:
Sits at 6in/15cm
Stands at 7in/18cm tall from head to feet

HEAD
Round 1:    With green 5 sc into adjustable ring.
Round 2:    2 sc in each st around – 10 sc.
Round 3-5:    Sc in each st around.
Fasten off. Cut the yarn. You have just created Part A.
Repeat Rounds 1-5 to create Part B. Do not fasten off or cut off. Join Part A and Part B together across 4 stitches using sc. See photos below.

YoshiTut001
YoshiTut003

You should now have 12 st around. (Do not count the stitches that are joined). Continue onto Round 6, you will be working the circumference as seen in the last photo.

Round 6:    2 sc in each st around – 24 sc.
Round 7-9:    Sc in each st around.
Round 10:    [Sc2tog, sc in next 2 st] around – 18 sc.
Round 11:    [Sc2tog, sc in next st] around – 12 sc.
Round 12:    [Sc2tog, sc in next st] around – 8 sc.
Fasten off, leaving a long tail.

NOSE
Round 1:    With green, 6 sc into adjustable ring.
Round 2:    2 sc in each st around – 12 sc.
Round 3:    [2 sc in next st, sc in next 3 st] around – 15 sc.
Round 4:    Sc in each st around.
Round 5:    [2 sc in next st, sc in next 4 st] around – 18 sc.
Round 6:    Sc in each st around.
Round 7:    [Sc2tog, sc in next 4 st] around – 15 sc.
Round 8:    [Sc2tog, sc in next 3 st] around – 12 sc.
Fasten off, leaving a long tail.

CHEEK/MOUTH PATCHES (make 3)
Round 1:    With white, 6 sc into adjustable ring.
Round 2:    2 sc in each st around – 12 sc.
Round 3:    [2 sc in next st, sc in next 3 st] around – 15 sc.
Fasten off, leaving a long tail.

EYE PATCH
Row 1:    With white, Ch 7, sc into 2nd ch from hook, and sc in each st across – 6 sc.
Row 2:    Ch 1, turn, (hdc, dc) in first st, hdc in next st, sl st in next st, hdc in next st, (dc, hdc) in next st, sl st in last st. Fasten off leaving a long tail.

YoshiTut

BODY
Note: Pay attention to the increases and decreases in this section!
Round 1:    With green, 4 sc into adjustable ring.
Round 2:   2 sc in next 2 st, sc in next 2 st – 6 sc.
Round 3:   [2 sc in next st, sc in next st] 2 times, sc in next 2 st  – 8 sc.
Round 4:   2 sc in next 4 st, sc in next 4 st – 12 sc.
Round 5:    [2 sc in next st, sc in next st] 3 times, sc in next 6 st – 15 sc.
Round 6:    [2 sc in next st, sc in next 2 st] 3 times, sc in next 6 st – 18 sc.
Round 7:    Sc in next 4 st, 2 sc in next 6 st, sc in next 8 st – 24 sc.
Round 8:    Sc in each st around.
Round 9:    Sc in next 16 st, sc2tog 4 times  – 20 sc.
Round 10:    Sc2tog 2 times, sc in next 3 st, 2 sc in next 6 st, sc in next 7 st – 24 sc.
Round 11-12:    Sc in each st around.
Round 13:    [Sc2tog, sc in next 2 st] around – 18 sc.
Round 14:    [Sc2tog, sc in next st] around – 12 sc.
Note: Begin stuffing and stuff as you go.
Round 15:    Sc2tog around – 6 sc.
Fasten off, leaving a long tail.
Stuff and sew closed.

BELLY PATCH
Row 1:        With white, Ch 2, sc into 2nd ch from hook – 1 sc.
Row 2 :       Ch 1, turn, sc in first st – 1 sc.
Row 3:        Ch 1, turn, 2 sc in first st – 2 sc.
Row 4:        Ch 1, turn, sc in each st across – 2 sc.
Row 5:        Ch 1, turn, 2 sc in first st, sc in next st – 3 sc.
Row 6:        Ch 1, turn, sc in each st across – 3 sc.
Row 7:        Ch 1, turn, 2 sc in first st, sc in next st, 2 sc in last st – 5 sc.
Row 8-10:    Ch 1, turn, sc in each st across – 5 sc.
Row 11:    Ch 1, turn, 2 sc in first st, sc in next 3 st, 2 sc in last st – 7 sc.
Row 12:    Ch 1, turn, sc in each st across – 7 sc.
Row 13:    Ch 1, turn, sc2tog, sc in next 3 st, sc2tog – 5 sc.
Row 14-17:    Ch 1, turn, sc in each st across – 5 sc.
Row 18:    Ch 1, turn, sc2tog, sc in next st, sc2tog – 3 sc.
Row 19-20:    Ch 1, turn, sc in each st across – 3 sc.
Fasten off, leaving a long tail.

YoshiBody01

ARM (make 2)
Round 1:    With green, 6 sc into adjustable ring.
Round 2-6:    Sc in each st around.
Fasten off, leaving a long tail.  Do not stuff (or you can stuff very lightly).

SPIKES
Row 1:        With red, Ch 7, sc into 2nd ch from hook, sc in each st across – 6 sc.
Row 2 :       Ch 1, turn, (in front loop only) sc in each st across – 6 sc.
Note: Fold fabric in half so row 1 lines up with row 2. We will do the next sts through both rows. See photo below for reference
Row 3:        Ch 1, turn, 2 hdc in next st, sl st in next st, (hdc, dc, hdc) in next st, sl st in next st, 2 hdc in next st, sl st in next st.
Fasten off, leaving a long tail.

IMG_9216 IMG_9219

FEET (make 2)
Round 1:    With yellow yarn,  ch 5, sc into 2nd ch from hook and in each st across. Continue on other side of ch with sc in each ch across – 8 sc.
Round 2:    [2 sc in next 2 st, sc in next 2 st] 2 times – 12 sc.
Round 3:    With orange yarn and in back loop only, sc in each st around – 12 sc.
Round 4:    Sc in each st around.
**Round 5:    Sc2tog 3 times, sc in next 4 st, sc2tog – 8 sc.
Round 6a:    In front loop only, [2 sc next st, sc in next 3 st] around – 10 sc.
Round 6b:    In back loop only of Round 5**, join with green yarn.  Sc in each st around – 8 sc.
Round 7-8:    Sc in each st around – 8 sc.
Fasten off, leaving a long tail.

SHELL
Round 1:   With red, 6 sc into adjustable ring.
Round 2:   2 sc in each st around – 12 sc.
Round 3:   Sc in each st around.
Round 4:   With white, sl st around.
Round 5:   In back loop only, sc in each st around.
Fasten off, leaving a long tail.

IMG_9031 IMG_9034

ASSEMBLY
1. Stuff neccessary parts.
2. Sew Eye Patch on Head
3. Sew 3 circles on the bottom of the face. One in the middle first and then on both sides of cheeks. See photos above for reference.
4. Sew Nose on Face.  It should be over the middle circle.  The top circle should be covered by nose, with the bottom portion of circle peeking out.
5. Sew Head on Body
6. Sew Belly Patch on Body
7. Sew Arms on Body.
8. Sew Legs on bottom part of Body.
9. Sew Spike on back of Head.
10. Sew Shell on back of Body.
11. Cut 2 small oval shapes from black felt and glue/stitch on Eye Patch.
12. Hide and cut all ends.

Be sure to let me know how yours turned out! Make them in all different colors.  You can share with me on my Instagram or Facebook.

Get the latest FREE patterns, posts and news!
We respect your privacy.

Free Yoshi Amigurumi Pattern

YarnYoshis01
YoshiAmigurumi

You Might Also Like

33 Comments

Cathy
    November 17, 2015 at 7:57 am

Thank you for the pattern! I am really looking good forward to making Yoshi. I love Yoshi!

Margaret Garland
    November 17, 2015 at 1:17 pm

Love him! I’m on an ami making binge just now. So your little guy is now on my to-be-made list. Thank you.

Elinor Handley
    November 18, 2015 at 11:41 pm

Can’t wait to make these. The Grandsons already want one. Thanks for posting the pattern.

JoAnn Garland Scarborough
    November 22, 2015 at 1:41 am

Thank you so much for the pattern, this is just precious.

Rachel Davies
    December 12, 2015 at 2:17 am

You rock! Is it hard to make a pattern? I have done some free-form crochet before, but not that I could ever reproduce. Thanks for taking the time to troubleshoot through making this little guy and sharing the results!

Jen Z
    December 19, 2015 at 5:28 am

Awesome pattern, working it up right now for a Christmas gift. Just one little thing I found wrong… Yoshi doesn’t have a shell on his back, he’s wearing a saddle for Mario. I modified mine a bit to look more like a saddle. Other than that, my son is going to love this! Thanks so much for posting!

stella
      April 25, 2016 at 2:43 pm

Dude it’s a shell. Thanks for the great tutorial…I suck at amigurumi but mine actually looks like yours LOL

Sharon P Locking
    August 8, 2016 at 5:36 pm

Hi Ami,

Great pattern, my grandson actually asked for a yarn yoshi, and I am happy to make him one.
    Having some trouble with the feet, on Row 6b, to find the back stitch on row 5, is inside the shoe, that isn’t working for me? Mine never curled over like yours is in the picture? Don’t know what I have done wrong?

Lori
      August 25, 2016 at 7:10 pm

6a I did in the back loop, and 6b I did in the front loop (opposite from what is listed in the pattern) and it turned out looking like the picture.

Sharon P Locking
    August 8, 2016 at 5:39 pm

Hi Ami,

Great pattern, my grandson actually asked me to make him a yarn yoshi. I am happy to do it.
    However I am having some difficulty on the feet Row 6b, finding the back stitch on row 5, which would be coming from the inside of the shoe? Mine did roll over on the top like yours did? Any suggestions?

Sharon

Lori
      August 25, 2016 at 7:11 pm

A
    August 23, 2016 at 6:28 pm

“Round 7: Sc in next 4 st, 2 sc in next 6 st, sc in next 8 st – 24 sc.
    Round 8: Sc in each st around.
    Round 9: Sc in next 16 st, sc2tog 4 times – 18 sc.”

If I decrease 4 times wouldn’t that be 20, instead of 8?

A
      August 23, 2016 at 6:29 pm

*18

Ami Amour
      August 23, 2016 at 6:51 pm

Yes, that is correct! Thanks for catching that. I’ll go ahead and make the correction.

Lori
    August 25, 2016 at 7:04 pm

You just made me the best mom in the world, according to my seven year old. Thank you! It turned out so great- your pattern was wonderful.

Lori
      August 25, 2016 at 7:09 pm

My little boy did note, though, that the spikes should be orange. {rolling eyes} I think he’s cute no matter what!

Ami Amour
        August 25, 2016 at 7:19 pm

You are the best mom for creating handmade goodies made with love for your child! Hehe and your boy has an eye for details! 😀

KO
    August 26, 2016 at 12:39 am

Cute! How tall is the finished product? I saw the big Yoshi and was hoping for that size.
    Thanks!

Ami Amour
      August 26, 2016 at 3:19 am

This one is a small one and is only about 6 in tall. The larger Yoshi pattern is available in both my Etsy or Ravelry shop.

Paige
    October 11, 2016 at 2:57 am

I’m confused about the head section round 10. What does that mean you will have 18 sc? Could you maybe post a picture of what it would look like after that step??

Cleanettte
    May 1, 2017 at 7:35 pm

Thanks a lot for this pattern. I just finished it and it looks very good even if it was my first amigurumi.

Ami Amour
      May 4, 2017 at 6:13 pm

Wow, I’m honored that my Yoshi was chosen for your first amigurumi! 😀 I’m so glad that you enjoyed it!

alisha
    October 3, 2017 at 2:06 pm

is this in UK terminology or US terminology

Ami Amour
      February 4, 2018 at 6:50 am

This is in US terminology.

Laura Baker
    December 13, 2017 at 9:22 pm

Thanks so much for this pattern. I just finished making a rainbow Yoshi for my nephew who loves Yoshi’s Wooly World and rainbows! I think he’ll really love it.

Yoshi Chalk Bag ⋆ Climb New Heights of Geekdom ⋆ make it lucky
    February 20, 2018 at 6:29 pm

[…] I LOVE the way this Yoshi chalk bag turned out and I owe a huge shout out to the talent behind Ami Amour, whose Yoshi pattern helped me create some of the pieces of this chalk […]

Edileusa
    May 24, 2018 at 12:12 pm

Oi sou brasileira não falo seu idioma estou fazendo o Yoshi , é difícil por ter coisas abreviadas ,mas aos pouco estou conseguindo obrigado e parabéns pelo seu trabalho

Amigurumi: apaixone-se pelo crochê que também é Geek! — Manda Noobs
    July 14, 2018 at 12:45 am

[…] Receita: Ami Amour […]

Amigurumi Nintendo Mario Game Character Yoshi with Free Online Pattern – jmART handmade craft
    November 13, 2018 at 8:51 am

[…] Amigurumi Free Pattern: https://amiamour.com/2015/11/yarn-yoshi-amigurumi-pattern/ Hope you enjoy my post and have fun in […]

Helen
    December 6, 2018 at 6:30 pm

I have a silly question I hope you can help! Is this pattern worked in the round, or is it Slip Stitched and move up to next row worked, if that makes sense.? This will be my first attempt, finally got my yarn the right color we want it. 🙂

Ami Amour
      December 6, 2018 at 6:40 pm

Hi Helen, it’s not a silly question at all. And no, you do not have to slip stitch at the end of the rounds. I also have some amigurumi video tutorials on my YouTube channel so you can see how I do the complete process from beginning to end. https://www.youtube.com/c/amiamour Hope that helps! Happy crocheting!

Helen
        December 6, 2018 at 9:29 pm

Okay, thank you for the link. I will check it out. 🙂 glad I went with my gut and didnt slip stitch.